Re: Illustrations on web sites (was RE: Self-voicing browsers)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:10:32 -0700
To: love26@gorge.net
Cc: Anne Pemberton <apembert@crosslink.net>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 11:07 AM 10/17/1999 , William Loughborough wrote:
>AP:: "The idea that the web can be made "more accessible" by decreasing
>the use of graphics or multimedia needs to be replaced..."
>WL: The notion that the guidelines aim to "decrease use of graphics" is
>totally erroneous.

Thanks for pointing this out, William, because otherwise I'd have
to point it out.  Heck, I'll do it anyway.  Web accessibility is
NOT about "stopping what you're doing" or holding anyone back; it's
NOT about least-common-denominators or text-only design.  Web
accessibility is about multi-modal alternatives for everyone and
pages that use the most advanced technology possible, while degrading
gracefully to something that can be used anyone.