Re: Web accessibility milestone in Europe - April 2000

From: vinton g. cerf <vcerf@MCI.NET>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 18:12:25 -0400
To: (wrong string) õm <hans.sundstrom@hadar.amu.se>, ISTF - Christian de Larrinaga <cdel@firsthand.net>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: (wrong string) ónio Simões Monteiro <simoes.monteiro@missao-si.mct.pt>, MSI - (unknown charset) José Dias Coelho <jdcoelho@missao-si.mct.pt> (MSI), "MCT - Dr. Miguel Andrade" <andrade@mct1.mct.pt>, "UTAD - Prof. Bulas Cruz" <jcruz@utad.pt>, "MSI - Prof. Pedro Veiga" <pedro.veiga@missao-si.mct.pt>, Ministro da Ciencia e Tecnologia <gago@mct.pt>, Ministerio da Ciencia e Tecnologia <geral@mct.pt>, istf-participants@lyris.isoc.org
Dear Franciso,

This is an important topic. Could you tell us more about the
regulatory views of the Portuguese administration and the
European Union?

Vint Cerf

At 11:52 PM 10/8/99 +0100, Francisco Godinho wrote:
>Web accessibility milestone in Europe ­ April 2000
>
>The Portuguese presidency of the European Union ( EU) that will take place
>during the first semester of the year 2000, goes to re-launch the European
>Initiative for the Information Society, through a ministerial conference
>that will be held in Lisbon in April of 2000.
>
>According to Portuguese Minister of Science and Technology, the re-launching
>of the European Initiative for the Information Society will be centered in
>subjects such as accessibility and regulation of the Internet.
>
>As you know, Portugal is the first European country where web accessibility
>is mandatory. This legislation was an initiative of the Ministry of Science
>and Technology. I think that people from EU countries should join efforts
>and take this conference as a milestone to promote web accessibility in
>Europe.
>
>Regards
>Francisco Godinho
>Co-coordinator of the Petition for the Accessibility of the Portuguese
>Internet.
>GUIA/PASIG - Portuguese Accessibility Special Interest Group
>http://www.acessibilidade.net/index_eng.html
>Founder for The Human Chain for Timor on the Internet
>http://www.acessibilidade.net/timor
>http://www.egroups.com/group/timor-portugal/
>STOP THE GENOCIDE IN EAST TIMOR

"INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE!"
Join the Internet Society and help to make it so.
See you at INET2000, Yokohama, Japan July 18-21, 2000
http://www.isoc.org/inet2000