Re: Microsoft's response on the ALT attribute and how Frontpage deals with it

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:26:43 -0500 (EST)
To: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@naw.org>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
further:
microsoft was given the impression that alt text made good tooltips so
implimented it in that fashion.

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, B.K. DeLong wrote:

_My comments interspersed.
_
_>From: A Microsoft Product Manager
_>To: "'bkdelong@naw.org'" <bkdelong@naw.org>
_>Subject: FW: ALT attributes default to filesize and filename
_>
_>There is no way for software to know that a magnifying glass is for
_>searching.  There is a way in the image properties dialog box to put
_>whatever alt text you want in for an image.  We have to pick a default.  The
_>benefit to having the file size over nothing is that users who have their
_>browsers set to not download images will be able to see how big (read: how
_>long it will take to download) each image on the page.
_
_My question was why would they care what the image size is if they have
_images turned off. Note she didn't address text-browsers or people using
_screen readers.
_--
_B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
_Director                         Suite 140CSC-305
_New England Chapter     Boston, MA 02115
_World Organization        (617) 247-3753
_of Webmasters
_
_http://www.world-webmasters.org
_bkdelong@naw.org