Re: Microsoft's response on the ALT attribute and how Frontpage deals with it

From: Brian Kelly <lisbk@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:25:31 -0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@naw.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: B.K. DeLong <bkdelong@naw.org>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 1:29 AM
Subject: Microsoft's response on the ALT attribute and how Frontpage deals
with it

>My comments interspersed.
>>From: A Microsoft Product Manager
>>To: "'bkdelong@naw.org'" <bkdelong@naw.org>
>>Subject: FW: ALT attributes default to filesize and filename
>>There is no way for software to know that a magnifying glass is for
>>searching.  There is a way in the image properties dialog box to put
>>whatever alt text you want in for an image.  We have to pick a default.
>>benefit to having the file size over nothing is that users who have their
>>browsers set to not download images will be able to see how big (read: how
>>long it will take to download) each image on the page.
>My question was why would they care what the image size is if they have
>images turned off. Note she didn't address text-browsers or people using
>screen readers.
>B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.

I think you're being unfair in yopur response.  An authoring tool has three
options for providing defaults ALT values - give a null string, give a
standard chunk of text "This is an image" or provide information
automatically derived from the image file "Size =100 Kb".  Of these
alternatives, I think the latter is preferable.

What concrete suggestion would you make to vendors of authoring tools?

Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email: b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk URL: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly.html
Phone: 01225 323943 FAX: 01225 826838