Re: invisible spacer images and ALT text for them

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 11:13:57 -0700
To: "Melvin J Waller Jr" <wallerjm@ucs.orst.edu>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 10:51 AM 5/22/1999 -0700, Melvin J Waller Jr wrote:
>I've been using the practice of using [ ALT="" ] to hide images without
>important content and this passes acceptability checkers and the opinion of
>most. However, why does pwSpeak choose to ignore this convention and
>announce EVERY image in the page?

Because that's just what pwWebSpeak chooses to do (and it's a
legitimate thing for a web browser to do, really; you're not
guaranteed that ANY information in your HTML will or won't be
hidden from any user).

I _believe_ (although I haven't played with it) that either you
can configure this through WebSpeak's style sheets, or else you
will be able to do so soon.  I'll check out my copy of pwWebSpeak
and get back to you on this.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member