RE: Debunking the need for "text-only" parallel sites

From: Jeff Guillaume <JeffG@PMI1.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:29:07 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Well, as my first post ever to the group... I've been debating for quite
some time and had actually made up my mind to create a "text-only"
version of my company's site.  However, it *would* be markup, and would
be designed specifically for people with disabilities -- not just a
"text-only" version in the strictist sense of the term.

One blind individual who I pitched this idea to loved it, and will be
testing it once it's complete.

HOWEVER, my other question is: where does XML fit into all this?  Isn't
it supposed to be the future of Web pages?  Once a page is created in
XML, a browser on any platform or device can render it, hence making it
accessible to everyone (this is the idea, anyway).  I have seen no
discussion of XML in this group.  What say you all?  :)

Thanks.

Jeff