RE: Debunking the need for "text-only" parallel sites

At 08:29 AM 5/21/1999 -0400, Jeff Guillaume wrote:
>Well, as my first post ever to the group... I've been debating for quite
>some time and had actually made up my mind to create a "text-only"
>version of my company's site.  However, it *would* be markup, and would
>be designed specifically for people with disabilities -- not just a
>"text-only" version in the strictist sense of the term.

How do you design specifically _for_ people with disabilities,
and why would you design your other pages otherwise?

The cornerstones of the web are interoperability and platform
independence; why would you want to waste so much time designing
_for_ anyone in particular?  Design for everyone, to the standards
(including WCAG), and everyone can use your one site, not just
"people with disabilities".  (Especially not all people with
disabilities are the same!)

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member