Re: Access Keys for Accessibility

From: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 20:23:15 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

At least in Internet Explorer, it turns out that you can use all the letter
keys for ACCESSKEY choices.   For example, if you have set an
ACCESSKEY="f", to activate it you must press and hold the alt-key then
press the f-key.  However, to activate the application/Windows "File" menu
you can press and release the alt-key then press the f-key.  IE assumes
that simultaneous contact means "do the ACCESSKEY" while sequential contact
means "do the application menu". I don't know if this will follow for other
browsers when they support ACCESSKEY, but Microsoft certainly got this one

Chuck Letourneau

At 08/05/99 07:35 PM , you wrote:
>Personally I believe sticking to numbering them would be more appropriate.
>Considering the fact that "alt" also activates browser drop downs, you won't
>have access to all 26 letters.
>Internet Explorer:
>File Edit View Favorites Tools Help
>File Edit View Go Windows Help