Frames [was RE: Development WAI activitiess

From: Kasday, Leonard R (Len), ALTEC <kasday@att.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:55:09 -0500
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "'Scott Luebking'" <phoenixl@netcom.com>
scott wrote:
>Here's a section from some documentation for my prototype browser.  The
>section discusses frames and framesets.
>    Frames
>    If this browser reads a page with frames, it will display a menu with
>    a description of each frame.  The description can include word count,
>    number of links, number of forms and a list of significant words.
>    To choose the desired frame, just enter the number of the frame followed
>    by the RETURN key.  If you ever want to change to a different frame
>    for that page, just type the 'fs' command followed by the RETURN key to
>    re-display the frames menu.

One common frame idiom is for one frame to be a table of contents.  When
you pick a link or button in the table of contents it changes the
contents of another frame.  In the present version of your browser, what
happens when the user picks such a link or botton?

If someone can tell us what other browsers, or combinations of browsers
and screenreaders, do, please join in.

BTW, the author guidelines discuss frames at

Also, what would be a good home for collecting this sort of information,
i.e. the behavior of current browsers and browser/screenreader
combinations?  E.g. should it be considered as part of the charter of
the new RC group  http://www.w3.org/WAI/RC/ ?  (Advertisement.

All opinions expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my
kasday@att.com         phone 732 949 2693

Leonard R. Kasday
Room 1J-316A
AT&T Laboratories