Frames [was RE: Development WAI activitiess

scott wrote:

>Here's a section from some documentation for my prototype browser.  The
>section discusses frames and framesets.
>
>    Frames
>
>    If this browser reads a page with frames, it will display a menu with
>    a description of each frame.  The description can include word count,
>    number of links, number of forms and a list of significant words.
>
>    To choose the desired frame, just enter the number of the frame followed
>    by the RETURN key.  If you ever want to change to a different frame
>    for that page, just type the 'fs' command followed by the RETURN key to
>    re-display the frames menu.

LRK::
One common frame idiom is for one frame to be a table of contents.  When
you pick a link or button in the table of contents it changes the
contents of another frame.  In the present version of your browser, what
happens when the user picks such a link or botton?

If someone can tell us what other browsers, or combinations of browsers
and screenreaders, do, please join in.

BTW, the author guidelines discuss frames at
   http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-0203.html#Frames

Also, what would be a good home for collecting this sort of information,
i.e. the behavior of current browsers and browser/screenreader
combinations?  E.g. should it be considered as part of the charter of
the new RC group  http://www.w3.org/WAI/RC/ ?  (Advertisement.
(smile.))

Len

All opinions expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my
employer.
kasday@att.com         phone 732 949 2693

Leonard R. Kasday
Room 1J-316A