Re: 1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose: Towards best practice recommendations for pages with info on several users

Looking at the spec carefully, it doesn't look like someone would fail
1.3.5 by putting user attributes on non-user fields. That causes me
concern, in that it suggests that the result of this SC is that a user
can't rely on the attribute. It also doesn't look like making up your own
attributes is a failure, so long as you apply them to the input fields
whose purpose is identified in the reference.

There's no reason both the use of the html5 attributes and the use of them
only on user inputs can't be included in the Sufficient Technique (and it
looks like both are; perhaps either the Understanding doc or the existing
technique could go into more detail on ONLY using it for user inputs, and
the why of that).

Do we want to consider making an advisory technique that uses the section-
concatenation that appears in example 74 for user family purposes (i.e.,
section-spouse)?

The other question I had on this is do we have a recommendation on whether
teams should set the overall form to autocomplete="off" or "on" and in
what circumstances? Do we have any rec from COGA on whether autofill is
desirable (especially given one cannot rely on the attribute being used
correctly ONLY on user fields)? Is anyone looking into whether adding
something like "prompt" as another value for this attribute would be
welcome?

Michael Gower
Senior Consultant
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034