Re: ARIA instructions in other languages

Further to Alastair's response, the language of your page may  determine
the language used by your screen reader for its default instructions
during operation of the page. However, depending on the AT construction,
it may draw the language setting from the OS level -- or maybe just go off
the AT user settings. After all, if I happen to land on a page in a
language I don't know well (or at all), I may want to stumble around on it
with my high-school reading level, but I think it is probably welcome for
many users (especially newbies) to have the screen reader's default
prompts being announced in their native tongue regardless of the language
of the content they are consuming.

Obviously in a kiosk or shared system environment, you'd likely want any
session language preferences to be the language used by the AT's spoken
help.

The  UAAG standard includes "1.6.4 Synthesized Speech Language: If
synthesized speech is produced and more than one language is available,
the user can change the language. (Level AA)"

I'm not aware of any AT-based industry specification that addresses this.

Mike

Michael Gower
Senior Consultant
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034