RE: Silver Requirements Issues

Thanks David, I agree.   Most of our clients want support statements indicating how they support WCAG even though they don’t fully conform to the standards.  They are being told by legal counsel to get a support statement or conformance document that shows the progress they have made, the sufficient steps they have taken toward conformance even when full conformance as defined by WCAG is not met.

Jonathan

From: David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:05 PM
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Silver Requirements Issues

I've filled an issue regarding retiring "testability" to be replaced with "measurability" in Silver

This is a huge issue, and there is very little discussion of this in the requirements document. This requirement is pulling the testability foundation out from under WCAG and replacing it with measurability. It may or may not be a good thing. It could work out very well or it could make the guidelines unusable in a legal framework. We would need to get input from lawyers who have been involved in multiple settlements and lawsuits involving WCAG.

I think it is premature to declare this shift for Silver in the requirements document, but rather the requirement should say that its needs to investigate testability vs measurability as a basis for the success criteria (or whatever they will be called in Silver).

https://github.com/w3c/silver/issues/22

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.