Re: Silver Requirements Issues

Jonathan,

The Silver Task Force agrees.  Silver has always worked under the
assumption that it must be able to be used in a regulatory environment.
I heard some rumors last winter that Silver was going to be informative
and WCAG 2.x would be the normative version.  That is false.  I tried to
set the record straight whenever I heard it and hoped that word would
spread.  Silver will be able to be used in regulatory environment.  The
policy makers I have talked to outside the US are particularly
interested to see Silver address their needs.

The Silver Design Sprint included lawyers and policy makers. The model
for the conformance prototype we are currently developing came from a
lawyer from the US Office of Civil Rights. Representatives from
accessibility consultancies and major companies also gave their needs
and solutions that included ideas for conformance. The conformance
statement ideas were not developed in detail in the Design Sprint,
although it was discussed in several groups. We did not have the time to
develop all the ideas that people wanted to.  That's what we are doing now.

As Silver refines the prototypes that people are submitting, they will
be user tested.  Some of the users will be lawyers and policy makers.
We will include international policy makers.  I have a few contacts for
accessibility lawyers outside the US, and we will try to include them as
well.

jeanne