Re: Issue #69: Character key commands

Greg wrote:

> We should standardize on either "character key" or "printing key" rather
than mixing the two terms in the same to mean the same thing. While
"printing key" is the one I'm more used to seeing in the past, I think
"character key" is more intuitive to readers unfamiliar with the concept.

However, as I pointed out recently, even the terms "printing key" and/or
"character key" have some issues elsewhere at the W3C, specifically around
internationalization.

"For example, on the Hindi INSCRIPT keyboard layout on Windows the TRA key
(on number 6) when pressed generates the following Unicode code point
sequence: U+0924 (TA) + U+094D (Virama) + U+0930 (RA).

We suggest the following wording:

If specified, the value must consist of a string representing an available
keystroke. For most languages, this will be a single printable Unicode code
point."
     (source: https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/485)

​At a minimum, our Technical standard should align with other W3C
publications, and while I can live with continued colloquial use​ of
either "printing
key" and/or "character key", I will request that we also include a
definition in our glossary that reflects the fact that what we mean is "single
printable Unicode code point.".

Thanks.

JF

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 2:48 AM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 16/05/2017 06:45, Gregg C Vanderheiden wrote:
> [...]
>
>> But I can’t think of the disadvantage.
>>
>> can someone help me here?
>>
>> [...]
>
>>   * it prevents the user from using the ‘e’ key for anything else — but
>>     (since this only happens if they have focus on the page — and there
>>     is nothing that the ‘e’ key can do on the page when not in edit mode
>>     — I’m missing the problem.
>>

> I have made this particular point many times before as well...these
> single-key commands would only trigger accidentally in situations where the
> user is not on a control/element that is editable. However, it seems that
> the main concern is accidental unintended triggering (e.g. by overeager
> speech recognition, or by unintentionally hitting a key on the keyboard).

> Patrick H. Lauke

John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist
Deque Systems Inc.