Re: Instant icon comprehension

From: ~:'' ありがとうございました。 <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:08:46 +0000
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, David MacDonald <befree@magma.ca>, "Slatin, John M" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, Hiroshi Kawamura <hkawa@rehab.go.jp>, Hiroshi Kawamura <hiroshi@kawamura.name>, Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>, Sofia Celic <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org>, Jan Dekelver <jan.dekelver@khk.be>, Chuck Hitchcock <chitchcock@cast.org>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Clayton Lewis <clayton.lewis@colorado.edu>, Gian Sampson-Wild <gian@tkh.com.au>, Keith Smith <k.smith@bild.org.uk>, Roberto Scano <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, Stephen Shore <Tumbalaika@aol.com>, Nancy Ward <nward@thedesk.info>, Paul Bowman <pbowman@gmu.edu>, John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu>, Elbert Johns <ejohns@thearclink.org>, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, lisa Seeman <lisa@ubaccess.com>
To: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>

Given the context is a zoo, I think that we can probably agree that
whilst we hadn't seen this icon before, recognition and understanding
is instant in the context for most adults and some children.

A significant consideration is that ant text would only be understood
by a minority, as it is a tourist attraction.

The web is international, and that suggests that icons may have a
valuable part to play in some contexts.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd