RE: SC 2.4.4 and 2.4.8

Having missed the calls  this week, I hesitate to weigh in on the list,
so feel free to ignore this if it raises issues that have already been
considered and rejected.

I prefer 2.4.4 option  d as proposed by Loretta. Option a seems overly
specific somehow, while at the same time excluding headings, one of the
most widely used devices for establishing link context. This technique
works well for sighted users; seems like what we want is a way to make
the resulting construct accessible.

I think the notion of "context" in options b and c is impossibly broad,
though this could be handled by defining "context" in a way that limits
it to things like the items specified in option a. But then we might as
well just specify them...

The idea of "programmatically determined context" might make people's
heads spin, but I think it's useful because it could allow AT vendors to
innovate in the way they handle both recognizing and retrieving context.
The items from option a could be listed in examples for the definition,
along with headings if there are reliable algorithms for determining
whether some text H is the heading for some block of text B that
includes the potentially ambiguous link text. (This might make room for
construct, where the heading element is a child of the section element.

I think we'll need to define "programmatically determined context" in
some way, But I wonder if we could get away with adapting the existing
definition of "programmatically determined," then adding examples; and
if the WG wants to support treating headings as programmatically
determined context, that could be handled in the examples.

Here's a stab at a definition:

<proposed>
Programmatically determined context
Additional information that can be determined by software from data
provided in a  user-agent-supported  manner such that the  user agents
can extract the information, combine it with link text, and present this
information to users in different modalities
</proposed>

The big problem here, at least in the short term, is that the definition
of "programmatically determined" includes the phrase
"user-agent-supported manner," which requires that the capacity be
"implemented" by user agents. So the list of *currently* sufficient
techniques could get awfully short.

I'm not sure how big a problem this is. After all, WCAG 1.0 required
markup for data tables that wasn't supported by AT for several years
after WCAG 1 went to Recommendation (and it's not in an "Until user
agents..." clause, either!). We don't want merely to ratify current
practice-- we want the vendors to extend what they're doing. And really
this seems like a short stretch, though I'm sure there are edge cases
where it requires a much longer reach.

John

"Good design is accessible design"
John Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute University of Texas at Austin 1 University
station Stop G9600
Austin, TX 78712, USA
Phone +1.512.495.4288 Fax +1.512.495.4524 cell +1.512.784.7533
email jslatin@austin.utexas.edu
www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/