accessibility of CAPTCHA

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:22:58 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hello everyone,

In the 31st August 2006 teleconference, I had an action item to
explore CAPTCHAs to see if we could come up with a sufficient
technique for people with multiple disabilities [1].

I explored several techniques, but was unable to come up with anything
that could distinguish the intention of the user by ability alone.
Instead, I came to the conclusion that there could never be a truly
accessible technique using a CAPTCHA. Although I couldn't think of a
method using a CAPTCHA, I do think it would be possible to solve the
problem using a social networking web service. It's quite an involved
technique, so I've written it up online to make it a bit easier to
read [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2006/08/31-wai-wcag-minutes.html#item08
[2] http://juicystudio.com/article/accessibility-of-captcha.php

Regards,