FIELDSET and LEGEND - WCAG2 Conformance Example Files

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:20:53 -0400
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "'WAI WCAG List'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Gregg,

> RE the second example - it does NOT necessarily fail.   You do not have to
> use the techniques specified.  You must avoid the failures, but you can
> use
> the techniques or any other method that meets the SC.    I didn't check
> whether the SC was met in this case - but the fact that the author didn't
> use a particular technique listed does not make a page fail.

The example file does not use any technique to associate a label with the
group of checkboxes (re SC 1.3.1). So would it fail level 1?

http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/docs/file2.html

Other than using fieldset and legend, is there any way to create labels that
can be "programmatically determined" to be associated with a group of
checkboxes?

Cheers,
Chris