RE: RE: R: NEW: Issue #1544

From: Bob Regan <bregan@macromedia.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:56:25 -0700
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, "Andrew Kirkpatrick" <akirkpatrick@macromedia.com>
Roberto,

Flash in this context can be thought of as the presentation layer. If
the user does not have the required user agents, then a text equivalent
can be delivered.

I would add that this is the very same strategy used by W3 technologies
such CSS and SVG. Further, to my knowledge, there are no configurations
of user agents that directly render SVG.

Let's present the question directly to the group. It is relevant. Can a
non-W3 technology meet WCAG? Can a proprietary technology meet WCAG? I
have long been under the assumption that the answer is yes, it can. If
the definition of accessibility has changed, then we should get that out
in the open.

Cheers,
Bob

-