RE: RE: R: NEW: Issue #1544

-----Original Message-----
From: lguarino@adobe.com [mailto:lguarino@adobe.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 8:08 PM
To: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG
Cc: 'Tina Holmboe'; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: RE: R: NEW: Issue #1544

Roberto,

All you are saying is that you reject my hypothesis that there can be a
baseline that includes Flash. The reason
for trying to separate out the baseline issues is because user agents and
assistive technologies are moving
targets, and we'd like the guidelines to continue to be applicable as the
environment changes, no matter how
slowly.

Roberto Scano:
Hi Loretta, what I'm trying to say and I try to understand is what we intend
for "web content accessibility" and how we test it (which operative
enviroment is used: OS, browser, etc.). If there will be a baseline that
insert object like Flash animations, is clear that the object contents
should be accessible to all and - if it is not possible - is necessary to
offer an alternative version.
But think about screen reader users or user with other AT that have flash
enabled: if flash is enabled, AT try to render flash contents and don't move
inside nested objects for render an alternative for the inaccessible
content. So, for a "baseline", we need to define also the browser that
conform? Is like to said "best view with IE 800x600" ?

Loretta:
Could you try to answer the question that I posed, that is, if there is a
such a constrained environment that
permits Flash (perhaps the computing environment for some company), should
lack of HTML validity of
<embed> disquality such content if it satisfies all the rest of WCAG2 ? It
is an important question in its own
right, without the entanglement of the current state of user agents.

Roberto Scano:
I'm unable to respond to your request, due that the companies that develop
Flash is Macromedia (i know now owned by Adobe). What I said is that also
authorizing to use <embed> (in violation of other W3C spec), the flash
content will be accessible *ONLY* if:
* User must use Flash Player 6 or newer
* User must use Windows, IE 5.5+, MSAA (MicroSoft Active Accessibility)
* User must use screen reader that uses MSAA. Currently, WindowEyes 4.2+,
Jaws 4.5+
* Flash must open in separate window (allows user to navigate into and out
of the Flash content)
So we want to ask all this? And for different browser/OS/AT?