Re: RE: R: NEW: Issue #1544

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:56:45 +0200 (CEST)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

[ lguarino@adobe.com in <45f1fc46098a.46098a45f1fc@adobe.com>]:

> Let us hypothesize a baseline that includes Flash.

  I think we need to ask ourselves this:

    If we hypothesize a baseline that includes Flash, can a site
    which comply to such a baseline be deemed accessible according to
    WCAG 2.0 *even if some people can't get to the content*?

  This is, however, a different discussion from whether valid syntax
  should be required.

  It seems to me that it isn't all that difficult: if the baseline
  contains a requirement for HTML, then we should also assume that it
  requires VALID HTML. Anything else would be illogical.

  The bigger question then becomes whether baselines are not quite,
  quite evil.

> is that also authorizing to use <embed> (in violation of other W3C
> spec), the flash content will be accessible *ONLY* if:
> * User must use Flash Player 6 or newer
> * User must use Windows, IE 5.5+, MSAA (MicroSoft Active Accessibility)
> * User must use screen reader that uses MSAA. Currently, WindowEyes 4.2+,
> Jaws 4.5+
> * Flash must open in separate window (allows user to navigate into and
> out of the Flash content)
> So we want to ask all this? And for different browser/OS/AT?

  An interesting baseline, and an interesting question: what, in light
  of this, does accessibility *really* mean?

  We need to discuss this baseline issue, that much is certain.

   [+46] 0708 557 905