[techs] Table Caption Tests (151 and 115)

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:13:09 -0400
To: "WAI WCAG List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

These tests deal with table captions.

Test 151 - All data tables contain a caption that describes the nature of
the table unless the nature of the table is described by the table's
summary.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test151.html

Test 115 - All layout tables do not contain caption elements.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test115.html

It was suggested earlier that another test be added to ensure the summary
and caption do not contain the same text. This sounds like a good idea but I
would like to postpone adding the test until we resolve the proper use of
caption and summary.

There has been a large amount of discussion on the lists regarding the use
of caption and summary. The use of the title attribute in this regard has
also been discussed.

use of title instead of caption:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004AprJun/0847

complex vs. simple data tables: