Re: XHTML 1.1 as text/html (was Re: Should validity be P1 or P2?)

Hi David,

On 23/06/05, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:
> Its going to be a long time before browsers really catchup.
>
> However, that doesn't answer my question. Why XHTML 1.1 (as text/html)
> and NOT 1.0 + Appendix C?

A more pertinent question would be why XHTML 1.0 + appendix c? What
have you gained that couldn't have been gained with HTML? You've just
listed 5 reasons why XHTML doesn't work on today's web. All XHTML
should be delivered as application/xhtml+xml, with different levels of
how highly recommended it is. XHTML 1.1 as text/html breaks the rules
as much as XHTML + Appendix C as text/html, and has the benefit that
it's easily extensible. The guidelines say that XHTML 1.1 should be
served as application/xhtml+xml unless there are valid reasons not to.
IE is a valid reason not to on today's web, and likely to be for a
long time yet.

Best regards,

Gez

--