    Da: "Neil Whiteley"<neil.whiteley@tag2.net>
    Inviato: 22/06/05 23.18.57
    A: "Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com"<Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
    Cc: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: RE: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions    from     last 2 days)

    Hi Becky,

    <becky>
    To use XHTML 1.1 correctly it should be served as application/xhtml+xml
    which I can not do if I want to reach a majority of users.   The W3C
    states that I should not serve XHTML 1.1[2] as text/html. So, perhaps my
    XHTML 1.1 can be made to pass validation with a customized DTD, but I'm
    still not really serving XHTML correctly according to the W3C.
    </becky>

    A lot depends on your interpretation of the document you refer to and
    specifically the meaning of *SHOULD NOT* used in the summaries table. The
    document "XHTML Media Types" specifically states that the terms used in the
    document are to be read and understood as stated in RFC2119.

    >From RFC2119:

    <snip>
    SHOULD NOT   This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that
       there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the
       particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full
       implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed
       before implementing any behavior described with this label.
    </snip>

    In other words you can serve XHTML 1.1 as text/html if you have good reason.

    I've had this conversation many times and I still can't convince many people
    even though it is clearly stated in the referenced documents.

    [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary
    [2] http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

    Regards,

    Neil Whiteley
    Tag2

[Messaggio troncato. Toccare Modifica->Segna per il download per recuperare la restante parte.]