Re: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions from last 2 days)

From: Ineke van der Maat <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:46:51 +0200
To: "WAI-GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hello John,

You wrote:

>Here is a very small example in which valid code doesn't guarantee
>accessibility. The following table validates for HTML 4.01 transitional.
>JAWS 5.0 and 6.10 do not recognize it as a table. Home Page Reader 3.04
>handles it properly.

<code>
    <thead>
            <th colspan="4" scope="col">Building Accessible Web Sites
    </thead>
    <tbody>
    </tbody>
</code>

Did not you see  that the th-tag is not closed at all, so it can never be
valid or well-formed? i copied the code to a page i am working on and the
validator also told me that the </th>-tag is  omitted.

Besides; it misses a caption tag, headers attribute and summary-attribute
for making the table-code also better  understandable for non-visual UAs.

Greetings
Ineke van der Maat