Re: Proposal for Guideline 1.1 [definition of text]

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:55:08 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi Ineke,

At 21:28 26/05/2005, Ineke van der Maat wrote:

>Hello Carlos,
>
>You wrote:
>>Anreference to XML 1.1 should be removed, as many experts in the field
>>are explicitly recommending *not* to use it because of its breaking of
>>backwards compatibility (white space handling, name characters, etc.),
>>unless you want to write element names in Ethiopic (Amharic, Geez, etc.),
>>Burmese, Cambodian, Mongolian, Dvihehi or Yi syllabary [1]
>
>And how is this for urls and domain names? it is e.g. possible to register
>a domain name/url in burmese characters and also  many others like chinese
>or japanese ones.

I think URLs are already covered by other "standards" (RFC 1738 [1] for
URLs, and RFC 2396 [2] for URIs). I don't know the status of
"internationalised URLs". For URI encoding programs, see [3].

Regards,

Christophe

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
[3] http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group