Guideline 4.1 (use-spec) Issue Summary

From: Ben Caldwell <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:19:06 -0500
To: WCAG-WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Attached is my summary of issues related to guideline 4.1. Most of the
issues that remain seem to be intertwined with our decisions around
baseline and guideline 1.3. We have received mixed feedback recommending
that we both strengthen and weaken the current level 1 requirement to
pass validity tests and use elements and attributes as defined in the spec.

At this point, I'm interested in feedback about how people feel about
the consequences of strengthening and or weakening this guideline based
on the proposals I've made under issue #888.

To facilitate discussion, I think it would be helpful to have a more
complete list of examples where it is particularly important that
authors be allowed to violate a spec for backward compatibility or
compatibility with AT as well as examples of cases where the
consequences of spec violations negatively impact end users.

All the best,

-Ben

--
Ben Caldwell | <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu>