RE: [Techs] proposed definitions re: my May 11 WCAG TTF Action Item

Tim has located several possible definitions for the terms "technology"
and "techniques" which appear in the techniqures requirements document.

Definition of "Technology"
Since the Working Group reached consensus on a definition of
"technology" on the 4 May call, one option (as Tim notes) is to use the
same definition in the Requirements document:

technologydef1 - A definition from the WCAG2.0 Glossary [2] "a markup or
programming
language, application programming interface (API), or communication
protocol".
Do we want to keep this same definition in [1] for consistency?
Yes! Definitions and usage should be consistent
 across the set of documents for WCAG 2.0.

Definition of "techniques"
As for the term "techniques," I think we use it in *both* senses (2) and
(3) below:

technniquesdef2 - Another definition from dictionary.com [5] "a method
or body of methods for
accomplishing a desired end"

technniquesdef3 - In ATAG2.0 Glossary [6], "techniques" are defined as
"informative suggestions
and examples for ways in which the success criteria of a checkpoint
might
be satisfied"

The individual techniques conform to the first definition quoted above:
each one offers a method of accomplishing a desired end.

The techniques *documents* (HTML Techniques, Client-Side Scripting,
etc.) conform to the definition as it appears in the ATAG 2.0 glossary:
the techniques documents contain "informative descriptions and examples
of methods and bodies of methods that may be used to satisfy particular
success criteria"

I suggest that the WCAG 2.0 Glossary define the word "technique" as "a
method or body of methods that may be used to satisfy the success
criteria defined in WCAG 2.0"

This definition should also be used in the Requirements document.

I also propose that we describe the techniques *documents* as providing
informative descriptions and examples of methods thta may be used to
satisfy success criteria defined by WCAG 2.0"

I don't think the latter belongs in the Glossary, but it does belong in
the Requirements document, and it might also be used in the introductory
section of WCAG 2.0, for example in the section on "How to Read this
Document" where we list the various documents and types of documents
that make up the WCAG 2.0 collection.

JOhn

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director