Re: 3.1: Proposal with links to Guide docs

From: Lisa Seeman <lisa@ubaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:57:02 +0200
To: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
CC: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

>> So at levels 2 and 3 there are SC that call for graphical and/or
>> spoken-word representations of information otherwise presented in text,
>

> I've been objecting to this for three years (it's a Chaalsism that is
> apparently unkillable), as have many others, including another blind
> person, Greg Rosmaita. You can*not* force people to draw or speak or
> perform a solo acoustic guitar performance just to meet WCAG.

my take (and i think Charles was thinking on the same lines) is to
enable conversion to symbols,  icons,  and  schematics at the user end.
This can now be done using RDF with xhtml or using roles  in XHTML 2.0.
Other techniques include using standard CSS classes to the same affect.
(of course providing symbols yourself will also do..;)

All the best