Re: [script-techs] Possible Scripting Techniques to help with baseline evaluation

Isofarro wrote:

> I've revamped the above URL to start off the help notes as footnotes,
> then using JavaScript and DOM to reposition them just before each text
> field.
>
> <url:http://sandbox.isolani.co.uk/demo/integratedHelp/index.001.html>
>
> With JavaScript disabled, the help links are simply internal anchors to
> the relevant footnote, and a link back immediately after each footnote.

I think that works well and navigation seems to be logical with the
keyboard. I take it the internal anchors create no problems for the
screen readers?

I especially like the use of the rel attribute. Have been experimenting
with the idea of implementing <samp>rel="subsection"</samp> to create
DOM references for pop-up links in certain scenarios. I feel generally
the rel (link type) attribute is underused. It obviously adds to the
semantics of an anchor. At the same time a single script routine could
release callback functions to anchors based on their link type, thus
encompassing numerous script enhancements (help pop-ups, window pop-ups,
extended tool-tips) in a single wrapper.

One comment on the script. Notice you fall back to attaching the
callback function for the event handler to the onclick property - i take
it to ensure <var>this</var> persists across all the browsers?
IMO, for demonstrable techniques we should stick to the DOM2 Events
specification. Here the onclick technique appears to be a convenience -
economising on code - especially since the initialisation script *is*
attached through event handlers.
Perhaps this is too stringent an expectation for developing accessible
scripting techniques, but it would be beneficial to further the
progression of the DOM in line with meeting these requirements.

Just thoughts, Cheers. Tom

Tom Wright, devloper@tomwright.me.uk
http://www.severnsolutions.co.uk