RE: HTML messages (was: Re: Please comment on issue summaries)

John M Slatin writes:

 > My opinion: Although I see the benefit of HTML in some cases I would
 > prefer it if we stick to plain text for the mails themselves. If you
 > feel you need the additional markup possibilities that HTML provides,
 > just attach the HTML-version to the plain text mail. I did this for my
 > 2.4 summary as well.

I agree with this.

 > (And while we're at it, could someone
 > please invent a new convention for marking quoted mail messages?

I think the existing convention is perfectly reasonable: anyone
reading the message visually or with a braille display can instantly
tell how many nested levels of quoting are associated with a given
line of the text, without having to go hunting for and counting
open/close delimiters. As others have noted, software can easily
detect this style of quoting - in fact, Emacspeak reads it by using a
different voice for the quoted text.