RE: Accessible quotation style in email (was Re: HTML messages)

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:18:12 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

First of all, it's much more important that Working Group members cease

You can turn off HTML in Outlook and force Outlook to use what is
euphemistically called "Internet-style quoting":

> As I pointed out to someone who wrote me off-list, the print world has
> had effective conventions for handling quotations for a whole lot longer
> than email has had them.

Print conventions are inapplicable.

> I think the problem is that the *line* isn't semantically significant
> when you're quoting.

It's much more semantically significant if you and your correspondents use
mailers that support flowed text, like Eudora, M2, Thunderbird, Apple
Mail, and-- wait for it!-- Hotmail.

And we see that John unnecessarily top-posts text that was already
correctly quoted.

And yes, we need an automatic converter from at least flowed text to
blockquote, as I called for previously:

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
       --What's wrong with top-posting?