non-text content

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:53:19 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    * non-text content - content that is not represented by a Unicode

      character or sequence of Unicode characters

I like the direction here.     But we need to handle

1- content includes structure so the word "content" is problematic here.

2- ascii (or Unicode) art.

How about "information" for "content"

Some believe structure is not information - others worry that if you remove
structure from, say, a table, its meaning changes.   That would indicate
that you removed information necessary to understanding of the content.  It
may be information about information but it has semantic content.

Otherwise I would go for

   * non-text information - information that is not represented by a Unicode

      character or linear presentation of Unicode characters

still worry about the word information a bit.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
< <http://trace.wisc.edu/> http://trace.wisc.edu/> FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/