RE: Unifying ATAG and UAAG in 4.2 (or surrogate)

Yvette P. Hoitink writes:

 > I do like your proposal that WCAG should reference UAAG and ATAG, just like
 > UAAG and ATAG reference WCAG. That way we maximize the awareness of the
 > existence of these guidelines.

I agree this is a good idea, independently of the extent to which the
different sets of guidelines are well known to developers, which as
Yvette rightly notes, varies according to context.

However, it isn't clear how the interdependencies should be stated. Is
it sufficient to say that if any parts of the content satisfy the
definition of "user agent" or "authoring tool", then the respective
guidelines should be applied? This is not the purpose for which the
definitions were written. An alternative would be to stipulate that if
it is possible for part or all of the content to conform to UAAG or
ATAG, then it must so conform. A techniques document could then set
out the characteristics that indicate one is dealing with an authoring
tool or user agent component.