Re: Issues and proposals: conformance claims

Wendy Chisholm writes:

 >    1. Conformance claims should be based on technology not user agent(s).
 >    2. Technology name and version is required; user agent information is
 >       optional.
 >    3. The claim should be simple to make. Providing a template or
 >       examples of common "profiles" would aid simplicity.  Common
 >       "profiles" or "baselines" could be documented and referenced in
 >       claims.
Yes. A claim which gives the URI of a baseline should be considered adequate.
 >    4. Audience information could be included in a claim.
I would prefer to say that audience information may be included in a
claim; in other words it is optional (just like user agent information).

 >    5. Include enough information in the conformance claim such that a
 >       3rd party can verify the claim.  [We conclude this means that some

Items 1-4 should satisfy this. If they don't, we need to find out what
extra information is needed.

 >       technique-related information must be provided, although we didn't
 >       sketch out how this would work. We hope to discuss this on Thursday.]

It is my hope that no technique-related information is needed in
addition to items 1-5 above to enable an evaluator to determine
whether the success criteria are met.
 >    6. Conformance claims may include other optional assumptions.

That's a very general, catch-all assertion; I suggest deleting it
unless there is a real and demonstrated need for it. An alternative
way of expressing it would be to say that claimants are free to
include any additional information that helps to clarify or explain the claim
being made.

 > Here is a potential "template"  based on the "Conformance profiles" in
 > UAAG 1.0

This template and the accompanying examples are excellent thanks to
Wendy's diligent and methodical efforts. I don't have any suggestions
to add, other than that an example of such a claim specified in
metadata should be created once the proposal has been settled.