RE: Background audio (was: Impact of not setting baseline and writing SC as functional outcomes)

Hi all,

John, I understand the need for an explanation but isn't that why we have a
'who benefits' section? I think our success criteria should be as concise as
possible and not contain any explanations or rationale.

I would like to go with Mike's suggestion:<proposed>"A mechanism is
available to turn off background audio that plays automatically.</proposed>

and add the following to 'who benefits':
<proposed>
People who are blind or have low vision can use a screenreader without
having the background audio interfere.
People who have learning disabilities may find it easier to concentrate on
the content without background audio.
</proposed>

A real-world example example of a site that has this problem:
http://www.stichtingmeerzicht.nl/
This is a Dutch website of an organization that focuses on participation of
people with a visual impairment in the 'normal' society. However, their own
website does not follow the WCAG. On mouse over, the navigation buttons are
read aloud. In my browser, this is all scrambled and just goes on and on
until you mouse-out.

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl