Re: [techs] EXTENDED Techniques Teleconference 17 November 2004

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:45:13 +0000
To: James Craig <wai-wg@cookiecrook.com>
Cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:57:17 -0600, James Craig <wai-wg@cookiecrook.com> wrote:
> James Craig wrote:
> Sure it can. By assigning the window.open() return value to a variable,
> the script has a reference to the new window object.

there are numerous pop-up blockers in existence which set the return
value to the current window, or a newly created iframe, or ...
There's lots of pop-up blocker people who  have specifically designed
your "test" to say it succeeded when it failed.  You have to deal with
these.

> There is a working version here.
>   <http://cookiecrook.com/AIR/2003/train/xmp/popup/popup.htm>

Fails for me with one of the above types of popup blockers.

There is no way to tell if a window has been successfully opened and
the content available to the user, hence there are no scenarios in
which it is possible to stop the navigation - since there's no need
to, as the original script works, we don't have a problem.

Jim.