Re: Action item: provide examples of usability issues not covered

From: WATANABE Takayuki <nabe@comm.twcu.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:22:07 +0900
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Cc: nabe@lab.twcu.ac.jp

I'm sorry I found a similar guideline was already mentioned in WCAG

WCAG 2.0 Guideline 3.1 L3 SC
Alternative representations: summaries, paraphrases, examples,
illustrations, and symbolic languages

Adding non-text content to the site for key pages or sections
specifically to make the site more understandable by users who cannot
understand the text only version of the site.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:31:40 +0900 WATANABE Takayuki <nabe@comm.twcu.ac.jp> wrote:

> During October 7 teleconference, I took an action item to provide
> examples of usability issues that are not covered in WCAG 2.0.
> (discuss at Dublin F2F).
> I enclose some examples I found so far.
> (1) JIS X 8341-3 5.9.f) "Web content should be prepared not just with
> text, but also with intelligible icons, illustrations, and audio
> content." is the first example I would like to refer.
> It has an informative reference that says "Additional information such
> as intelligible icons, symbols, audio, etc. may be effective for
> understanding and operation by those who have difficulty understanding
> text content, such as those with learning difficulty. Figure 34 shows
> an example of explanation using both text and illustration."

WATANABE Takayuki <nabe@lab.twcu.ac.jp>
Tokyo Woman's Christian University