Re: Suggested requirements for guideline 4.2

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:26:13 +0000 (UTC)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> 2. Be consistent with, and preferably supportive of, UAAG 1.0. c 3. At
> level 1, it should concentrate only on technical issues of
> accessibility, excluding questions about cost and broad availability
> (i.e., at level 1 if there exists an implementation meeting certain
> technical requirements, this should be enough).

I don't want any part of WCAG to require authors to certify UAAG or ATAG
compliance, or even to force them to use ATAG- or UAAG-compliant tools,
*of which there are none*.

The Web author is not a browser author. Stop trying to force Web-content
authors to comply with ATAG and/or UAAG by stealth. Drop any effort to
require ATAG or UAAG support in WCAG. They're three separate guidelines
for a reason. Stop trying to punish authors.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post