RE: [#1063] APPLET alt text and alternative content

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:47:14 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Regarding a proposed HTML technique about embed and applet, Roberto Scano
replied:
<Roberto>
Sorry, but embed and applet aren't elements that are not defined in any
W3C dtd?
</Roberto>

I think this raises an important issue about User agent supported
extensions.  Does Guideline 4.1,  "Use technologies according to
specification," preclude the use of these extensions if they are
accessible?   When I read the level 1 success criteria I am still not
certain that embed and applet are prohibited or not?  I definitely think
we need to make this clearer, but unfortunately I don't have any
wordsmithing proposals.

I am concerned about this issue because of the use of the contentEditable
and designMode attributes that are available on block level elements in IE
and Mozilla to implement HTML editing.  If JavaScript is enabled (and that
is another open issue) I can make a version of an HTML editor that is
accessible using WindowEyes.  Will this meet the 4.1 guideline?

thanks,
-becky

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect