[#1071] Navigational supports with LINK

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:36:24 -0400
To: "WAI GL \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The following is a proposal for HTML techniques. I will implement the proposal in a draft unless there is objection from the group. There will still be room for debate of the proposal in the context of the next draft.

The LINK element [1] provides ways to identify a document's position in a collection, and to identify the location of important other documents, like the start, contents, next, previous, etc. (see link types [2]). These links are not rendered in the body of the document but are supported by the browser interface.

I propose we create a technique in the Navigational Supports section recommending the use of this contextual information. This would relate to Guideline 2.4 [3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/#navigation-mechanisms

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/