[#1065] Provide a link to download an accessible plugin

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:36:19 -0400
To: "WAI GL \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The following is a proposal for HTML techniques. I will implement the proposal in a draft unless there is objection from the group. There will still be room for debate of the proposal in the context of the next draft.

Guideline 4.2 [1] says "At least one plug-in required to access the content conforms to at least the default set of conformance requirements of the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG) 1.0 ... If inaccessible plug-ins are available, then a method for obtaining an accessible plug-in is provided from the content."

We should include a technique to provide a link to download an accessible plugin viewer. This also corresponds to U.S. Section 508 paragraph m [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/#technology-supports-access
[2] http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm#(m)

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/