[#1064] Use markup instead of other formats

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:36:17 -0400
To: "WAI GL \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The following is a proposal for HTML techniques. I will implement the proposal in a draft unless there is objection from the group. There will still be room for debate of the proposal in the context of the next draft.

WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 3.1 [1] says "When an appropriate markup language exists, use markup rather than images to convey information." The take from WCAG 2.0 Guideline 4.2 [2] is "Any programmatic user interface components of the content conform to at least the default set of conformance requirements of the UAAG 1.0 at Level A".

I propose to create a technique speaking to this in the programmatic objects section [3] of HTML techniques.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#tech-use-markup
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/#technology-supports-access
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20040903/#programmaticobjects

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/