Re: Scripting Techniques first draft

From: James Craig <wai-wg@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:12:20 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Isofarro wrote:

> 2.) I prefer not to always return false on the onsubmit. It is the
> function's job to determine whether it has been successful or not, and
> inform the caller.
>
> I'd much prefer the onsubmit to be:
>     onsubmit="return checkFields();"

I agree. Especially with the popup window example. Some proxy server
scripts strip out calls even to requested popups, making the return
false method fail. I wrote a little bit about this, and gave an example
script in the following page's "Verify New Window" section.

<http://cookiecrook.com/AIR/2003/train/jsexamples.php>

Although I can't think of a similar accessibility problem with form
submissions, it seems to be a smarter solution to use return values to
cancel or approve the default action of markup elements. Ditto on the
DOM comment instead of the document.werite method.

Cheers,
James

--
http://cookiecrook.com/