Re: Scripting Techniques first draft

From: Isofarro <lists@isofarro.uklinux.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:21:40 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Yvette P. Hoitink wrote:

> Personally, I have found document.write a very useful technique in creating
> accessible websites that transform gracefully. If I create additional
> features in a website that require Javascript, I always make sure to
> document.write them.

I agree the idea is sound - using Javascript to insert
javascript enhancements, although I suggest that using DOM
inserts is a better approach, especially since it can be done at
any time, not just during the loading of a document.

I recall Robert Scoble
<url:http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/08/21.html#a8127> had
a substantial loading overhead because of the document.write.
Mainly because of one slow function that was called repeatedly.
Using DOM, this can be done after the page load, and added to
the page when the content becomes available, so not preventing
the user from seeing past the function call.

Mike.