From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Jens Meiert
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:17 AM
To: Yvette P. Hoitink; Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG)
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: [wcag2] Definition of 'complex content'

> There are several words or phrases which I think are hard to
> understand or unclear:
>
> Capacious
> Ordered too dense
> Kindred information chuncks
> Observance

Well, I see the problem though I think, for example, '...contains much
information' is not precise or clear, either. (I think it's generally
difficult to avoid words whose meaning is relative anyway.)

> I also think we should include difficult language as an example
> of complex content.

Disagreed. For example, take

"In interspecies transmissions of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies,
the agent has to overcome a species barrier that is largely influenced by
the rate of homology between the prion proteins (PrPC) two involved species.
[...]" [1]

I claim that this excerpt consists of 'difficult language' (for 99% of the
population), but it is /not/ complex, not per se. So I recommend not to
include it in the definition.

> Examples of complex content:
> * content that contains much information
> * content that uses words the visitor doesn't know
> * content that is presented very close together
> * content that consists of many parts
> * content that uses different presentation styles for similar types of
> information.

I recommend to remove the 'content that' part since it makes this part too
complex ;)

Well, merging my initial and your proposal and salting it with these remarks
leads us to another definition which I want to bring in as the next
proposal:

"Content is considered complex if it is hard to analyze or understand it.
Examples of complex content include content that

* contains much information;
* is presented very close together;
* consists of many parts;
* uses different presentation styles for similar types of information.

Following these guidelines helps to make content less complex."

Best regards,
 Jens.

[1] http://www.laboklin.de/l_forsch/for0p11.htm#overexpressing

--