Re: [css techs] new draft for discussion, list of to dos (Comments)

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:54:32 +0200 (MEST)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Some comments...

In 1.9 [1] it is said 'Use px for properties that do not need to change:
height and width of raster images, and margins'. -- I propose to add the
'border' (property) as well since it conveys no 'meaning' and since it's not
crucial to be displayed. The padding might be taken into consideration, too.

Next, in 1.18 [2] it is said 'Underline, overlink, or blink with
'text-decoration''. -- I'm not sure if it's wise to refer to any blink
effect. Though we only allow any blinking if it's stoppable [3], I'm
concerned of the (CMIWW) uncontrollable way user-agents might visualize this
effect (though this might be quite hypothetically).

If any of them crosses the e.g. five-flashes-per-second threshold, we cannot
take the responsibility for this. I propose to rethink this issue, if there
really are imponderabilities to expect.

Last, in 3.6 (Providing structural markup for graceful degradation) [4], the
first example lacks semantics. Normally you should use, for example, a list
(or nested lists, respectively) for this purpose, and <div /> and <span />
elements convey no meaning in markup here. I propose to use lists instead.

All the best,
 Jens.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-CSS-TECHS-20040719.html#units-for-static