Re: 1.2 Cleanup

oops. thought I had sent this a while ago...
--w

Gregg wrote:
>    * RE:  editorial note at the front.    We suggest  that we pull the
> editorial note from level two success criteria and add it to the
> editorial note at the front of 1.2    The text that would be added to the
> editorial note at the front of the guideline is
It makes sense to move the note to the beginning, however it is confusing
to have "success criteria for level 1" "editorial note" followed by text of
success criteria 1. At least in this text version, it was not clear to me
where the editorial note ended and the success criterion began.  I expect
people unable to see the visual formatting and navigating by headings could
have similar problems. Thus, since the editorial note applies to the entire
guideline, i propose moving it before the heading "level 1 success criteria."

>Guideline 1.2 Provide synchronized media equivalents for time-dependent
>presentations.
>

>Editorial Note: This guideline is scheduled for major cleanup, but could
>not be completed in time for this TR release.

"TR" is W3C jargon.  How about, "To meet our publication deadline,
resolution of issues for this guideline are deferred to our next Working
Draft. "

>There is discussion about moving some of the current success criteria from
>Level 1 to Level 2. The issue stems from trying to apply the success
>criteria to every Webcam, newscast, and home broadcast. Another approach
>is to allow a conformance claim to state, for example, "All pages and
>applications on this site meet the Level 1 guidelines of WCAG 2.0 except
>the Web cam at http://example.org/webcam/."

The primary question  is, "How do these success criteria apply to every
Webcam, newscast, and home broadcast?"  Options we are considering include
moving existing success criteria from Level 1 to Level 2 or allowing
conformance claims to exclude portions of a site, such as, "All pages and
applications on this site meet the Level 1 guidelines of WCAG 2.0 except
the Web cam at http://example.org/webcam/."

Level 1 Success Criteria for Guideline 1.2

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium