RE: simple language testable thing

At 07:57 AM 2004-02-04, lisa seeman wrote:

>OK, I was being ambiguous (or ever just plain incorrect)
>
>Let me try and say what I mean.
>
>Words written in a different alphabet to that of the primary natural
>language of the plain are foreign words and should have a translation
>provided...
>
>True?

Lisa:

The word I believe you want is 'script' as used in the UniCode
literature.  Compare with the way scripts appear in XForms:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xforms-20031014/sliceE.html#mode-scripts

Jens, Charles (and somewhat Lisa):

You are being caught in the popular confusion of UCS, the Character Set for
XML,
and the 'Charset' HTTP-header parameter which indicates an *encoding* such as
windows-1252 or UTF-8.

  http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/charset-harmful

The cure for this is the "Character Model for the WWW" -- watch for another
Last Call on this.

http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

Charles:

The fact that the default transport encoding for HTTP and the default content
encoding for XML are different is a negligible nuisance.  First, the default
for HTTP was set before XML existed, and second, anyone who understands *why*
they are using XML will indicate the encoding used *explicitly* and not rely
on the default properties of the transport to communicate to consumers what the
bits mean.

Al