RE: Top-Posting And Guideline 3.1

From: Gian Sampson-Wild (PurpleTop) <gian@purpletop.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:18:55 +1000
To: "'John M Slatin'" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, "'Chris Ridpath'" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, "'Joe Clark'" <joeclark@joeclark.org>, "'WAI-GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I have always found top-posting more useful than any other kind of
formatting, often because I know already what the comments are about
(from the subject line and reading previous emails) and don't want to
have to search through the text to determine what is new content and
what is not. And, as is indicated just by looking at the emails
regarding this subject, the alternatives to top-posting is varied: some
people are using the > (greater than signs), some are inserting text
(Jane Smith says), some people are snipping previous comments and
putting their comments throughout.  At least with top-posting the format
is consistent - and therefore much easier to interpret.

And if there is confusion as to what comments are about, it is always
possible to scroll down to find what the comments were in response to.
Thus I find that deleting all preceding emails (as I have done here and
was recommended in a previous post) is not at all useful.

Cheers,
Gian